Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Another Year Older

I turned 27 today.
I know that's not old, but I feel old. I mean, it's crazy to think just 10 years ago I was 17. I feel I am many more decades past that than just one. And as the youngest child in my family, it's weird to think that I am 27. I'm the baby! That means if I am 27, everyone else really is getting old. My oldest sibling is nearing 50. My dad is almost 70, etc. See what birthdays do? lol

Aidan (my 3 year old) sang to me beautifully this morning. He and hubby got me a CD I've been wanting (Carrie Underwood). It was a beautiful day outside. (slightly too humid for my liking, but oh well!)
Family and friends called and e-mailed to wish me a nice b-day. All that love is nice.

Despite that, I still notice that over the past few years, I always seem to get a little down on my birthday. Anyone else?
It feels like the birthday itself is a shout-out, a reminder of what I have not yet done or accomplished. Like "You are 27, Sharon! You should own your own house by now. You should be thinner. You should do this or that, look like this or that...". WOW.
It seems that my birthday is a way of me seeing all that I thought I would have or do by now, but don't. Not that I don't appreciate the blessings I do have, because I do. I don't know. I guess I can't explain it. It just seems to always feel this way on my birthday. At least the past few years.

So as of 7:42 p.m. tonight, I am 27 years old. I raise my imaginary strawberry-daiquiri glass to all of you-CHEERS! Here's hoping this year is a good one. :)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Happy happy birthday!

Can't say I know how you feel. I love birthdays, and although it baffles me that I'll officially be in my LATE 20's as of August, I still feel that I'm where I want to be. I'd like to be living in a mansion in Louisiana, but it's not where God wants me.

Mmmmmm, strawberry daiquiri!

In Light of the Truth... said...

Happy birthday!!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Speaking as someone who is nearly 15 years older than you, YOU'RE JUST A KID!!!! Many blessings in the year ahead--hope you had a very happy birthday.