Thursday, October 30, 2008

Story Time! Take a Break and Read This

I am re-posting this with permission from the author.

Once upon a time, I was a pregnant 17 year old. I had always been pro-life, but I was absolutely petrified and had no clue how on earth I would be able to finish college with a baby or even how I’d START college. Then I found an organization called The Nurturing Network and they gave me the message that I needed to hear: “do not be afraid.” They told me that yes, things might be hard, but if I wanted to choose birth and parenting they’d be with me every step of the way. 6 1/2 years down the line, they have been with me every step of the way and where I am is a tribute to the love that they offered me. Today I am the mother to my 6 year old son (as well as his 3 year old, 1 1/2 year old, and 2 month old brothers and sister!) I graduated college on time, as did my husband and both of us are now working in jobs that we love. Who we are is a direct result of the love and compassion that we received, thanks to a woman named Mary Cunningham Agee.

The Nurturing Network (TNN) was founded 23 years ago by Mrs. Agee after she suffered the loss of her first child, a daughter named Angela Grace, in a 2nd trimester pregnancy loss. Mary is a life long Catholic, and TNN is the result of her search for meaning in the wake of personal tragedy. Mary left behind a successful career in corporate America, and literally sold a vacation home to have the start up money to fund TNN. She has been the unpaid President of TNN for over two decades, working to make sure that carrying a pregnancy to term is a viable option for any woman who visits TNN’s website or calls TNN’s 800 number. It is inspiring to know someone who would be willing to give so freely of herself for others, and I am honored to call Mary one of my closest friends.

TNN exists outside the debate regarding legality of abortion, and instead chooses to focus on the majority of women who experience unplanned pregnancies: women who have abortions in the absence of other meaningful options. In particular, TNN exists to serve the college or working women for whom abortion might seem to be their only “choice.” Whether it’s a home with a Nurturing Family so that a woman can live in an environment supportive of her decision for birth, the help of caring medical professionals, counselors, laywers, a facilitated transfer to another college or university, a meaningful employment opportunity or even just a friend to talk to for encouragement along the way… TNN will do whatever they can to make sure that a woman can choose to nurture her child’s life- and make the most of her life as well.

Please spread the word about this wonderful organization. You never know who you could help by posting in your journal or in other communities or websites, and feel free to cut and paste what I’ve written here. If you are pregnant and need the help that TNN can offer, do not hesitate to fill out an application for help. It’s right in their website, completely free and confidential and they get back to people pretty quickly.

http://www.nurturingnetwork.org


If you are touched by this story, or consider yourself pro-life...

If you'd like to help defend the unborn so they may have an equal chance at living...

Please share this story on your own blog. Check out The Nurturing Network and add their button to your site.
Who knows? It might just be what a visitor needs to see the day they come to read your site.

No comments: