Monday, January 26, 2009

UnPlugged

I've been "unplugged" the past few days. Boy does that feel weird! I am quite used to frequently checking blogs, e-mail Twitter and Facebook throughout the day. I'm sure I have a lot to catch up on. Wednesday we will have Internet, TV, and phone! Yay!!

Friday our friend Amanda came down (with her daughter), and we were able to get some decent packing done. It didn't seem like we accomplished much, but we truly did. ;) Thanks, Amanda! And Philomena, too, of course.

Saturday we did the big move to our house. My sister-in-law and her husband came down to help. We rented a U-Haul and took over our queen bed, the sofa, and the rest of the big stuff.
It was a day-long process, and an exhausting one at that. (thanks to Kely & Dave!)
We are so grateful for all of the help we've received. I really don't know what we would have done otherwise!

Saturday was difficult sleeping here, but Sunday we got a lot done, and it feels like home now.
We're still surrounded by boxes, but we have the essentials taken care of. It is home.

One thing I've learned is that I have kept so many things. For what reason I am not so sure, but WHOA....lots of things. You never realize how much you have until you move, right?

I finally threw some things away. I actually filled 2 trash bags w/ old cards and papers I was just saving. I hadn't looked at them in the last 2 years, so I figured it's about time I send them off to ruin the environment. ;) I also donated 3 bags of clothed to Goodwill.

As I was going through some of these things, it was quite the trip down Memory Lane.
I found my niece's birth announcement (Haleigh). I found postcards my husband sent me from his semester in Europe. I found clothes I had not worn-or fit into-since we were engaged. I'm sure the hopeful in me was saving them in case I was ever a size 4 again. Ha! But even if I was that size again, the clothes are outdated. Gone. Good riddance.

I found so many pictured. One of me from high school prom, so many of my sister and Haleigh as a newborn. I even found one of my oldest sister pregnant with her oldest child! Way back when.
I'll be sure to get those scanned. ;)

I've saved too much, but it was fun going through them. It's amazing how much room paper can actually take up.

Oh, getting back to my original thought...
When we were engaged and having our bridal showers, I did not open everything. I insisted to my hubby that we'd save these things for when we had our own house. Stashed away into storage they went.
Until Sunday.

Let me tell you, we have nice new things! Only they're really 6 years old. ;) Our everyday plates from Mikasa--yup, finally using them. And they're nice! Our Mikasa flatware...loving it.
It's fun. I almost wish we used them sooner, but it's working out.
We found some unopened beer mugs, a nice glass fruit bowl, serving dishes...all kinds of things. New to us, 6 years later.

So here I am now, our 3rd night in our house. Pat is in class tonight, the boys are actually asleep, and I am on our bed grateful we're able to content off the neighbor's wi-fi.

Wednesday we have everything being set up, and I do hope to catch up with you all then.
After I program our DVR. Kidding! Sort of...

Have a good one!

6 comments:

Modern Catholic Mom said...

Good luck with the rest of your unpacking glad it went well so far.
Ellen

Jennifer said...

Yay! You're IN!! I want to come up and see it! I love it that you saved gifts for your first home--That is so cool! We were kind of the opposite--We opened everything, unpacked it all into our new home when we got married.....and now most of it is lost, destroyed or gone and we no longer own our own home---hee hee hee!! Guess I'll just have to get married again---ZING! Point for Jen! ;o)

Oh, BTW did your friend name her baby after St. Philomena?

Sue said...

Plan to be there for hopefully a snowy Thanksgiving!!!!

Lynette3boys said...

Congrats on the move - so glad to hear everything is falling into place.

the JOHNSON family said...

I'm so happy that ya'll are finally settling in! It took me a good 2 months to really unpack EVERYTHING and adjust to the new home. I'm so happy that the hard part is done for you. Do the kids love it? I wish I could come visit! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

It's good to unplug. I need to do that more often. Just hard when I have so much going on. I do keep my computer time to only a few hours per day though. That's something, right? lol

:--) Nell
CasualFridayEveryday.com
Twitter.com/casualeveryday