Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Prayer~Join Me?

I have gotten away from posting much on my faith and prayer life.
Earlier in my blogging days, I often posted about matters in the Church, being pro-life, etc.
Those things still remain a part of me, but for whatever reason, I no longer blog about them as I used to.

That is going to change.
I plan to try and do a Sunday post each week with a prayerful focus. Not to be holier-than-thou, but to start the week off in a better way, to get my focus in order, and maybe even to offer a gain to you, the reader, as well.

I hope to find the Gospel online and coordinating meditations to go with it. Nothing fancy, but a start.

Will you join me?

Today's Readings are:
Acts 10:25-26, 34-35, 44-48
1 Jn 4:7-10
Jn 15:9-17 (Gospel)

In Acts we learn of Peter's meeting with Cornelius, wherein Peter teaches Cornelius and his family more about Christ. Cornelius then becomes Baptized.

Cornelius is quite the example. I like the meditation offered here:
Cornelius was blessed because of his virtuous disposition, even though he didn’t know about Jesus. He was blessed because of his desire for God, his faithfulness to prayer, and his willingness to open his home to Peter and his companions. He was blessed because he and his wife led their family in the ways of God according to the best of their understanding. They practiced their faith, however limited it may have been.

The meditation further offered:
Likewise, God will bless our families if we bring him into our homes and if we try to have a right disposition in life. So let this story encourage you. God loves your family, and he will reward your attempts to bring them closer to him.
From this I ask myself how well do I bring God into my home?
Sure, we have a crucifix in each room, along with some religious pictures. We pray Grace before meals, and bedtime prayers with the boys.
But are we actively bringing God into our home, our just doing a routine?
I'm guilty of many days just doing a routine.

This week I want to try and see God more in my home. I hope to bring Him into our home in a new way, a more concentrated, deliberate way.

How do you bring God into your home?

“Lord, I invite you into my home. Come, Jesus, and make your home among us.”

Psalm 98:1-4; 1 John 4:7-10; John 15:9-17

2 comments:

Hyperactive Lu said...

Good one.

Bethany said...

Gosh...that's a good question! And a hard one. I always like to think I'd be better at prayer/closer with God if I was in a relationship/had kids, blah blah. Excuses!

In reality, I pray before eating (if I remember!), ask God to bless my day @ school and have patience with the kiddos since I always need that, and semi-keep a prayer journal. There's always something that needs improvement!