Sunday, April 18, 2010

Recipe Call

I checked out a great book from the library a while back, and though the book doesn't fully apply to my child, I did seek it out when he went through a rough 2 weeks (which correlated to a hectic time at home, with my mom's surgery, traveling, daddy traveling, my miscarriage, etc. He had a lot to handle at the time).
At that time I re-evaluated his eating habits. I firmly believe that what we eat affects our mood and behavior. When we fill ourselves with good foods, I think it's easier to feel good. And act that way. :)

The book offers some great recipes that are just all-around good for healthy eating.
Simple recipes, yet ones I'd not think of.

Banana Salad


1 banana
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter or almond butter
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1 lettuce leaf


Slice banana into fourths and put into bowl. Coat bananas with a layer of but butter. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Serve on a lettuce leaf.

(I might omit the lettuce)

I think this would serve as a wonderful breakfast, too.

Fruit Dip
1 8oz carton plain-yogurt
2 tablespoons all-fruit preserves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)


Combine ingredients, chill, and serve with fruit chunks.


Pork Chops
"Apple juice adds delicious flavor and sweetness to meats and poultry. These pork chops can easily be reheated in the morning to provide protein for the start of a good day."


4 pork chops, cut 1-inch thick
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup concentrated frozen apple juice, thawed


Brown pork chops in a nonstick skillet. Place chops in an ovenproof dish. Add water. Season with salt & pepper. Spread concentrated apple juice on top of the chops. Cover and bake for 1 hour.


That's all, folks.
These were some I felt were worth noting & adding to my collection.
And regardless of ADD/ADHD, these are just HEALTHY recipes. Good for us all. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the email and for sharing these! After yesterdays very late night combined with all the junk food we ate, i am looking forward to a day with good wholesome real food. Esp. with all the extra attitude and crankiness around here. I totally agree about the food/behavior connection, considering the week we had last week. But you already knew that ;)