Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I rarely watch Oprah

Today, though, our routine was changed because of the weather and we turned on the tv. It's a rerun- a segment on global warming. She has a Princeton professor on the show, along with Leonardo DiCaprio.

You'd probably think I hate celebrities the way I bring them up on my blog. I don't. There are a few I like. I like Mel Gibson. I like Bonnie Hunt. I like several famous actors. I just can't refrain from one more itty bitty complaint. (I'm negative this week, I admit it!)

Back to Oprah's rerun. She and Leo are talking about the dangers of global warming and what we should all be doing to try to help. They especially mention the cars that we drive and the amount of electricity we use.

My complaint: More and more we're hearing another "celebrity" discuss the dangers of global warming. They preach what needs to be done and why we need to do it. I agree with those things, for the most part. What gets me is those same people that are preaching- they're not practicing what they preach! They live in their ridiculously-oversized houses with hardly a family to fill them. Most drive huge SUVs. Like they really need that 20,000 sq. ft. house? Of course they're filling that huge house w/ furniture (wasting extra fabrics, wood, plants that help clean our air). They're using lamps and other forms of electronics. Hmm. That equals wasting energy and going well beyond what they need. It's so irritating. Or is it just me?
And why do they need such large SUVs? They barely reproduce, so it's not as though they need the space for a valid reason. Even families with kids- get a mini-van! It's better economically. All around- safer, cheaper, less money....

Just my complaint on Oprah's show. Now I remember why I don't watch it.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Welcome, Kat! Thanks for stopping by. :)
Yes, it seems people feel they'll suddenly need to buy out the entire grocery store and only have room in an SUV to put the bags in. lol. Funny, because my trunk to my old Civic carried a stroller AND groceries! Oh well.

PB said...

It still remains true that there simply isn't enough scientific evidence to support the fact that global warming actually exists!

Greg said...

My mom and sister apparently watched the same episode this week. I noticed that everything in the house was unplugged. When I asked why, they told me that Leonardo DiCaprio told them to do it! Since when is ACTOR Leonardo DiCaprio an expert on global warming?!?! Many scientists claim that Antarctica is actually getting colder--the opposite of what global warming activists are always spouting off. I'm reminded of when Arianna Huffington crticized Arnold Schwarzenegger for driving a Hummer and then boarded her personal jet back in the 2003 California Governor's Race. I'm all for celebrities using their status to help worthwhile causes, but perhaps they shouldn't be so quick to judge and take a look at their own lifestyles.