Thursday, September 04, 2008

Aidan's First Day of School!

How in the world it's already time for my "baby" to be in K4 is beyond me! After all, it seems like just yesterday I was holding him like this:Regardless, the day came, and that day was today. We went to preschool yesterday for the "Get Acquainted Hour", meeting his teacher and half the class. Aidan kept informing me that I wouldn't be allowed to stay today. (Gee, thanks, kid! Break your mom's heart!) Yesterday went well, and today we were restless until it was time to go. I could tell he was excited, but more so nervous. He barely ate his breakfast. He was not finding much fun in any of his toys.I nearly lost it when he told me he was nervous. He actually said, "Mom, I'm nervous". GULP.
I had been fighting back tears all week (not so successfully), but this did me in. I wanted to squeeze him and freeze time and allow him to stay 4 forever. I wanted to tell him that I was nervous, too, because I had to entrust other people with my baby.

Instead I had to let those growing pains set in.
I watched the pain in his eyes, which quickly enough turned into excitement, then an outward smile. The bigger his smile became on the outside, the harder it was for me to hold back my tears on the inside.

Tears of happiness and disbelief. Here is my first-born, my formerly colicky baby who never stopped screaming, off to begin his educational career. He wasn't a baby at all any more. He's a kid. A boy. A boy who is growing up so fast.

I want to slow him down, but I just can't. I need to let him grow. I need to let him experience these things and learn with others apart from me.
It's an amazing time, but oh so hard.

It always sounded so cliche to me..."It goes so fast", or "They grow up so fast!", but no longer.

It has become truth experienced.

It does go too fast. He's no longer my baby. He's my not-so-little boy.
And my sweet little boy loved his first day of school.
(anyone else's kid do the forced, awkward smile like Aidan does?)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, Aidan! Glad you're first day was so much fun. Here's to many more great days ahead!

(oh and Sharon, just reading your post made me start crying, LOL! for Aidan, for you, and even just thinking about how quick my boys are growing up!)

Sue said...

yeah!!! you'll never forget this day. He's so big now. :)

Stacey said...

Awwwww, so cute!!!

KBF said...

Oh my gosh I can't believe it!! He is SO CUTE! We miss him! Did he get Mercy's video???

Andrea @ Momma in Flip Flops2 said...

Oh Sharon your post practically made me bawl. I don't think I'll be able to handle it. He's so grown up and your words express exactly how I think I'm going to feel. I'm so glad he liked school and I hope he continues too. =) *hugs*
PS. I guess we'll just have to keep those babies come so we have someone to hold on to. LOL!!!

Greg said...

I bet he had a blast!!

And I like the Batman backpack!!

momwats8 said...

Those are the best and worst moments all at once! He looks adorable and I love the picture of you with the boys.

Unknown said...

Aidan looks so cute on his first day of school! His pre-school looks wonderful!! Very inviting and how cool he's in charge of weather! Did you get your room assignment for sunday school yet? I got a note that says Kaiden will be in the KA classroom, I'm not sure if that is a 3 year old class or the 4 year old class. I told them they could do either because of his late birthday.