Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again


I heard that song on the radio today...talk about way back when.
It immediately took me back to my senior year of high school. I was visiting my brother at college, touring the school to decide whether or not I would go there.
While visiting him, I ended up at a party off campus, doing an Aftershock shot off an ice structure. This song was playing.
Ah the good ol' days....

Fast forward to present time. The song still struck me.
Why?
Because lately I feel like I've been knocked down, yet have to get up again.

Brennan was very sick last week. During that time, the only way he'd sleep is by being held & rocked. Being sicker than he has ever been, we were ok with that. However he is no longer sick, and we need him to sleep like he used to again. Only he is not.
If you are not acquainted with the strong will a 22 month old can have, let me assure you they are amazing little beings. Brennan is a very stubborn, very strong-willed child. (I blame it on my father.)
His sleep habits this week have reminded me of when Aidan was a colicky baby. That is a time in my life I never want to repeat, mentally. I was incredibly depressed. Needless to say Brennan has been wearing on me, and I am one step away from going to the cookoo's nest, if ya catch my drift. We will battle again tonight. I am mentally prepared to battle for 1.5 hours. Beyond that, I will surrender. Let's hope I don't have to surrender.

Knocked down. Getting back up...

So after driving around with the boys yesterday to get out of the house, we come home to a leaky roof. Boy now I am really feeling lucky! Fortunately it's in the bathroom. As far as leaks go, we lucked out in that aspect. Patrick has become quite handy, and was able to resolve it temporarily. We have 2 different companies coming this weekend to give us estimates on a new roof. We've already had one, and the quote was astronomical. I am really crossing my fingers with hopes of a lower estimate. Join me.

Knocked Down. Getting back up.

I admit I am not an optimist. I wish I was, but it's been my nature to be more of a pessimist. When I start to feel down, it's a quick downhill slope from then on.
Right about now I would love to be surrounded by sunshine in a warm, sunny location. Beach/pool nearby. Daiquiris. Beach music.

On the brighter side of things, today was Aidan's Valentine's Party at school. His first one. :) He was so gosh-darned cute. I love this little man. We put together his Batman valentines, taped a Tootsie Roll on each one, then he picked out a single stem flower for his teacher and teacher's aid. He handed the flowers to them right away, and it was so stinking cute. He has a huge heart.

Even cuter?

There are twin girls in his class. (the ones he says he's married to. Both of them)
We pulled into school at the same time, and when they saw Aidan holding flowers, one of the girls said to him, "Aidan are those roses for me?".
Awesome. You gotta love it. The girl just turned 5, and she is already so smart. ;)

Snuggling Aidan has been therapeutic for me this week. I've told him that, but I know he doesn't quite get it. Luckily I can look at him and see what is yet to come. He was no picnic as a baby, but look at him now. Smart, huge-hearted little guy.
I'm hoping the same for Brennan.

Last but not least, tomorrow Aidan has speech. We made a valentine for his speech teacher.
What did we do?
Hee-hee. I think I am so clever.
We made a paper heart, he glued on one of his Batman valentines, then we wrote "You leave me speechless" on it. Har har. I know.
I love it.

Thanks for reading. This post was much longer than I anticipated.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

That's funny...I thought I took a shot of Aftershock off an ice sculpture to that song as well. :) You were only a mere babe when that song came out. I was a senior in COLLEGE. Oy vey.

Hopefully things will get better soon. When it rains, it pours. We are in that same storm as well. *sigh*

Sue said...

Mike loved that song. Did he ever get knocked down.
Brennan will get back on track-hopefully sooner than later!

A lot of alcohol , a lot of chocolate & good movies.

Modern Catholic Mom said...

Hang in their we have been there with my now almost 3 year old except she wants you to walk holding her like a baby. It is enough to send me off the deep end! Just remember this will be a distant memory before you know it, he will regain his old sleep habits. Hang in their I will say some extra prayers.

Bethany said...

I'm so glad Aidan had a fun Valentine's Day at school! We have parties tomorrow so I know it's going to be nutty, but we have Monday off to make up for it ;)

Anonymous said...

That valentine is a pretty cute idea; I'm sure the speech teacher will love it!

I'm new around here, so I think I'm allowed to point out (kind of randomly) that your boys are SOOOOO cute!! When I first saw your sidebar, I couldn't get over Aidan's hair!

Nell said...

That song took me back also.

Good for you for getting back up again.

I need to get back up again today.

Nell