Sunday, October 25, 2009

When You Can Feel God Working

I don't very often feel I sense when God is talking to me, or shouting at me "do this!".

I have friends who are like "God told me to do this...".
I usually stare blankly because I don't experience that very often.

I'm more the type that if God is trying to tell me something, He needs it on a huge billboard, then played through the song I hear on the radio, then to send HIMSELF to me in a dream or something.

But...Every once in a great while, I do feel God sending me a message. I do feel Him working on me, even through me. Those rare moments are such a blessing. They catch me off guard, and almost overwhelm me to a point.

Well the lightbulb went off, and I've had a moment where I've felt God working through me. Looking at it, it's amazing the way He connected pieces of my life together.

Remember how I participated in the 40 Days for Life campaign? I've gone twice to downtown Toledo and prayed outside the abortion clinic there. The first time it was a very moving experience for me. The last time, it wasn't as moving. However, the last time, as I was noticing a street guy (assumed homeless) walking by, I noticed he was talking to himself, not making sense, as if he was in an argument with someone we couldn't see. He was not presentable looking. He was not clean. He reminded me of my brother Kevin.

Once we were driving away, I realized he must have come from the shelter around the corner. The Cherry Street Mission offers shelter and food and warm meals to the needy.
My brother, Kevin, has often relied on such shelters.
 He is schizophrenic.
Since he was 18 or 19, he has spent so much of his life roaming about, going from one shelter to the next. He is alive truly because so many good people on earth have helped him.

That man I saw walking when I was praying at the abortion clinic, he really reminded me of my brother when he is unstable and off his medication.

Fast forward a few days.

Thursday at school, Aidan and the rest of the school made hundreds of pb&j sandwiches for the hungry.

The whole school worked together on this service project, and Aidan really enjoyed it. I am proud he understood what he did. I am proud he is in a school that does such things.

Guess who they were giving these sandwiches to?
Cherry Street Mission, the same shelter mentioned above.

When I realized this, I had another lightbulb moment. I realized there was a very real chance my brother may have relied on this shelter. He lived in Michigan for many years, and during that time left home and went God knows where. Toledo is a place he would have passed through.
I realize this is a small chance, but it gave me some perspective.

I found the shelter's website and looked at their list of Urgent Needs.
How could I not?

I kept it in mind when I was grocery shopping the other day, and I picked up a few things from their list.
I am excited to show the 2 bags to Aidan, and for us to all drive there and drop them off. I think it's so important for young kids to see this as they grow up.
The world is so much bigger than we are, and we need to do our part to help.

I not only feel like we're helping the needy that come to this shelter, but in some small way, I feel like we're helping my brother. Or at least returning some of the kindness he has received so much of.

God connected pieces together: my prayer time at the clinic-->the homeless guy walking by--> the shelter-->Aidan's school donating sandwiches to this shelter-->it making me think of Kevin-->finding the shelter's list of needs-->God connected these things in my life, and I feel like He wants me to help out, even if it is in a small way.

I don't feel it often, but when I can feel God working, it's quite the feeling. Humbling.

Have you ever had an experience where you've felt God working through you?

5 comments:

Curbstone Homestead said...

Thank you for the little reminder! Just as you said, God connects the pieces! Today our sermon at church was about freeing the oppressed and helping others and then I go on to read blogs and see yours first! The calling is truly there...

Amy said...

Sharon, very cool. Thank you for sharing. And yes, I have had a few experiences where I was absolutely certain of God's movement in my life. Both times were very humbling.

cecilia tinajero said...

hey sharon...i am the same way. those moments are few and far between for me. but that is so neat! and i agree that children should be taught to give back and be aware of others around them who are "different" or "less fortunate".

the JOHNSON family said...

This is a great post Sharon! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

Great post!!! Sebastian will be doing the same type of service project next week. I was so excited when I found out. I think it is great to get kids involved.