Friday, June 11, 2010

Congrats on 50 YEARS!

I'm late getting this published, darn it.
June 11, 2010: the 50th wedding anniversary of my parents.
50 Y-E-A-R-S.
Same woman with the same man for her entire life. (since she was around 15)
It CAN be done.
And they have proven that.

I feel so much excitement and joy for my parents.
It's not been an easy road all of the time.
My dad was in school working on his PhD right after they got married, they lived away from family, and with her first pregnancy, my mom was horribly sick.

Their marriage has survived a stillborn-their 2nd child, my first sister, Karen Phyllis.
I can only imagine how hard that must have been. I know how hard our 2 miscarriages have been on us, and a stillborn is so much harder. Not to mention my parents also survived 4 miscarriages, too.
(Yup, my mom was pregnant 13 times).
They grew & strengthened their relationship moving around several times, having lived in MD, PA, OH, NY, CT, MI, and (currently) SC.
They have faced ridicule and criticism, from the choices they made in regards to family size, to my mom being a homemaker/SAHM/whatever you want to call it these days. (I recently read the term "SAHM" is not politically correct...)

My mom & dad are INSPIRING. If they can do it, I think the rest of us can.
If they can save sex for marriage, so can today's couples.
If they can remain faithful to just ONE person, then so can today's couples.
If they can last without hired help, a nanny, or two incomes, so can today's couples.
If they can do it without a lot of money, why can't we?
If they can live by putting God first, so can today's couples.
It may not always have been fun, or happy, but the end result...the sticking through it...is worth it.
Hearing my mom on the phone, her excitement, her pure love for my dad still...it is simply inspiring.
Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad!
Congratulations on this incredible milestone, on proving society wrong, and being an inspiration.
We are thrilled for you, and may God bless you (and us!) with many more years of you & dad together!

5 comments:

Amy said...

What a terrific and inspiring post! Congratulations to your folks.

Mandy said...

Wonderful post. :) I loved looking at their wedding pictures. What a truly inspiring couple. Congrats to your parents.

Sue said...

beautiful! I only disagree w/ the 2 income part-dad even said back in the day there was no tuition for Catholic schools!! I don't think we could live off of Jeff's income even if H & J weren't in catholic school-it's tough.

PB said...

Sue, you are completely missing the point. The point was that choosing to live on one income, because you feel other things are more important, can be done. Many people live very comfortably off one income, even in today's society. Budgeting and living within your means is possible.

Bethany said...

Awww, such a sweet post! Congratulations to your parents. BTW, I see some of Aidan in the pictures of your dad from back when! :)