Thursday, November 03, 2011

A New Tradition for All Saints Day

Spaghetti & Meatballs!
We had this on Tuesday, and I have to say, my meatballs were quite good. It was a delicious dinner!

Why Spaghetti & Meatballs for All Saints Day?
I have two Catholic cookbooks that have been given to me, and I was in a menu-planning rut. I have never used these cookbooks before, but I picked them up to see what they suggest that goes with All Saints Day.

According to Building the Family Cookbook, All Saints Day became formalized in the year 731 (dang that's some time ago). The Pope then (Pope Gregory III) consecrated a chapel at St. Peter's Church, honoring all the Saints. The fest day was started in Rome and of course is still celebrated there. In the book Suzanne Fowler writes, "what could be more Italian and Roman" than spaghetti & meatballs? I agree!
So alas, a great tasting, kid-pleasing meal will now be our tradition on All Saints Day. :)

Another fun thing: during dinner we looked up each Saint and learned about his life again. The kids really enjoyed reading about their Saints, and it was one of those good family moments. If you already know the Saint of your first name, try looking up your middle name, or another relative's name.

Spaghetti & Meatballs: our new All Saints Day tradition.

No comments: