Thursday, February 16, 2006

On Naming Your Baby

The usual round of questions circulated at the baby shower I attended this past weekend. (not for me- I was there honoring someone else)
"When are you due?"
"Do you know what you're having?"
"What's the theme for the nursery?"
"Do you plan to go natural?"
And of course, "What names have you picked out?"

I'm not quite sure what it is about a woman being pregnant that makes everyone else feel entitled to give their (sometimes unwelcome) opinion. The absurd comments range from how much weight the mother-to-be has gained, to how crappy one thinks the unborn's chosen name is.

At this lovely shower I got into a debate with another fellow Catholic. I was strongly informed that parents must name their children after the Saints.
Now, I am no critic of this practice. I think it's a great thing to do. However, to say a person is wrong if they do NOT do it- that made me more than annoyed. And being told that it is Church law- well, that was just an invitation for me to prove that person wrong.

Not only is it not canon law, but my first question to mind is this: How would we ever have new Saints/names if that was true to canon law? I know many names are derivatives of more formal names, but what about those that are not?

So I went to my great online Catholic Community, and the truth was found.
The current code of canon law simply states: "Parents, sponsors, and the pastor are to take care that a name is not given (to a child being baptized) which is foreign to Christian sentiment."
Previously, the former code of canon law (in effect from 1918 to 1983) stated: "....... The name of a saint or of some other person distinguished for holiness be chosen, for this will be of a spiritual advantage to the child and an edification to others."
...As of November 23, 1983, you just have to choose a name that's not contrary to Christian teaching... prior to that, you saw a lot of Baptism registries that priests had added the name Mary or Joseph to if there wasn't a saints name in the name given by the parents...


I did not recall hearing that information when we were pregnant with our son. I don't want to gloat about being correct, but I am curious- how do the rest of you go about choosing a name for your child?



No comments: