Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shake, Rattle & Roll

Jazzercise: I've joined, started shaking it, and my rolls have been rattled.

I was skeptical I'd like it.
Back it up: I was skeptical it'd even be challenging. Boy was I wrong!

I have done two classes so far. Let me tell ya, I feel it! Especially when I go up and down the stairs. (carrying the laundry basket upstairs today was challenging)
As they say on their site, "Jazzercise is a 60-minute class incorporating cardio, strength, and stretch moves for a total body workout. We’ve taken moves from hip-hop, yoga, Pilates, kick-boxing, and resistance training and bundled them into one hour".
Yup. That sounds about right.
Thankfully Jazzercise is no longer like this. They've caught up with the times and offer a very modern workout, like this.

I decided to try this because of my dance background. So far it's come in use, but I've learned two things: 1.) I should have had more ballet training, and 2) I miss dancing a ton.

My first class they took my measurements and weight. That was humiliating. Don't get me wrong-I was all for it, and I could have opted out. I needed that for motivation. But I actually went down to just my exercise pants and sports bra. Whoa Nelly!!!
In 6 weeks they'll re-do it. I'm hoping for some results. Improvements. There better be.

Now I just need to kick myself into gear for eating the way I know I should. Menu planning, actually sticking to that plan, and not stress eating.

Dang it's easy to stress eat when you're hubby is in grad school, your kids are with you non-stop, your baby has an ear infection, your family is in another state, most of your friends are out of state, and money is tight. Dang dang dang. I've got to work on that.

So what do you do for exercise? What are you eating? How do you manage your weight and keep it where you want it to be?

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I started Jazzercise in June 2007. I have dropped 20 pounds and 2 sizes since then. In addition, my cholesterol has lowered. I can walk to my local Jazzercise class and have made some great friends. They also provide a nursery, which is important for me because my husband works long hours. They have eliminated ANY excuse I could ever give! :) Good for you for starting it! Can't wait to hear more about your success with it!!

Bethany said...

That's awesome, Sharon! I am not much of a dancer otherwise maybe I'd join a club. Is it expensive? The past few days I've been on 2-3 mile hikes/walks but during the week it's too hectic/too dark after work to go to the park and exercise. I guess I'm more of a walker/biker.

BTW, that would be so much fun to meet up! We should totally do it, once my car gets its' new transmission. I think it's like 2 hours...I'd be happy to drive your way since I know it's harder to go places w/ kiddos. It'd be fun to meet you IRL though!

CJ Sweet said...

First of all, thank you so much for linking to that hilarious video from the 80's. That brought back some memories! ha ha ha ha ha...good times. Anyway, that is awesome that you have started this! Does your class have babysitting like Mandy's? I'm thinking maybe this is something I should get into after I have this baby. I will need something for sure! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to hear some of your results!

Sharon said...

Cassie-
thanks so much for stopping by!
I WISH my location offered a nursery. :( It does not. That would make so many more options for me.
It's OK, though. As it is w/o it, I could do 4, maybe 5 classes a week. At least until my dh's schedule changes again. lol

Mandy-that is AWESOME! And so motivating. Thanks for sharing. :) So far I'm liking it. I'm juts sadly out of shape. lol

Bethany-I'm more a walker, too. Seeing me try to jog is a comedic event. Unfortunately.

Amy said...

Good for you! We have an awesome Jazzercise instructor in our area, but working, chauffering the kids and Jazzercise don't seem to make it into the same schedule.