Sunday, February 01, 2009

The Beginning of a Good Month

Or so I hope. :)

February is one of my favorite months, excluding the weather.
It started on as one of my favorites when I was in college and student teaching.

There are so many little holidays in February, it's a short month, and thankfully, the last full month of winter (at least officially. In Ohio we have wintery weather usually until April).

February kicks off with the Super Bowl. (like my pun?:) GO STEELERS!!!
I still love the city of Pittsburgh and can't wait to go back.

Tomorrow is Groundhog Day. I don't know why, but I love Groundhog Day. We always did fun things with it when I was teaching, like making our predictions, shadow-searching...it just set a positive mood that carried with me. Plus you get all day of the movie Groundhog Day. Bill Murray is pretty funny.

It's my nephew Ryan's birthday on the 5th, which is always a nice opportunity to see my side of the family.

Valentine's Day~Pat and I have never gotten into Valentine's Day. I think it's nice for those who do, but it's not a big deal for us. I don't expect a gift from him, or even flowers. Pretty much just bring me home a Hershey bar and it's all good. Most Valentines Days one of us has worked.
I am excited for Aidan since he has a party at school, and this is his first year doing official Valentines. :) They're already bought, of course, and to no surprise, they are Batman.

Probably the most festive day in February is the 24th this year-
Fat Tuesday
Mardi Gras
Paczki Day
Many different names, all with one similar trait-EATING! It's the day before Lent begins, so people pig out. We mostly stick with donuts or paczkis for breakfast. Dessert (consisting of chocolate, of course). I would love to make a King Cake one year. Maybe I'll try it this year, who knows. I know of at least 3 different people who could give me a recipe, and they're from New Orleans so it's accurate. ;)

I don't enjoy Lent, but it's nice to reach that point in the year, anticipating Easter, Spring, and it also means my boys' birthdays. This year Aidan's birthday is actually on Easter Sunday. Brace yourselves for future posts where I melt down in disbelief over having a 5 year old, who is about to start kindergarten!

The month ends with my sister-in-law, Kely, due with her 3rd baby. She's having another boy. I am excited to see the new little one, watching their family transition into a family of 5.

There are the extra things in February, like Lincoln's birthday, Presidents Day, Washington's birthday...I also had fun planning for those lessons when I was teaching. We'd make our Abe Lincoln hats, imagine ourselves in a log cabin, teaching ourselves to read.
I look forward to utilizing that experience with Aidan and Brennan.

The beginning of a good month. Or so I hope.
How about you? Does a good month lie ahead?

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Here we go Steelers!!

I am so excited for tonight!!

Sue said...

I'm excited for Aidan's Valentine's party-he'll have so much fun. Haleigh is apparently too old, or 4th graders are too old to exchange Valentine's-whatever! Jeff will get his heart shaped box of Turtles & Haleigh & Jack will get a dvd-Space Buddies most likely.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

I've been thinking about having friends from church over to celebrate on Mardi Gras. I thought it might be fun to have some fatty foods and visit with each other. LOL ;)

Hyperactive Lu said...

February doesn't hold much for our family. Our Fall and winter was so packed and January and February are COMPLETELY empty. Oh well. I think we'll stay busy the rest of the year, so I'll enjoy our quiet months!

Sounds like you've got an exciting month ahead...especially a new nephew! How precious!

Bethany said...

February is a fantastic month!!!!! Mostly because my birthday is in it...haha ;) Also-- I refuse to believe that we will still have winter weather in April. It is allowed (sadly) to stick around until about March 10 and then that's IT.

I remember Kely from college- Congrats to her on the babe-to-come! I didn't realize she was pregnant again. Her other two are adorable!!

Nell said...

I'm more of a April/May fan myself. Still too cold and yucky here to get excited about much. You have a lot of great reasons to be excited though.

Nell