Tuesday, November 02, 2010

All Saints Day (Nov 1) & All Souls Day (today)

Growing up, I didn't appreciate All Saints Day. Back then, it was the day after Halloween that made me get up early to go to church, not on a Sunday. Real nice, huh?

I've grown to appreciate All Saints Day and the opportunity it provides to teach my own family about the Saints. We can all learn together that we're not alone in our earthy struggles, that we can overcome them, and reach that highest level of holiness. Saints are real-life examples.

I plan to read about a different Saint each day with my family, and I'm starting with a personal favorite: St. Jude (1 of the 12 Apostles). St. Jude has interceded for my family many, many times. We often prayed & asked for his intercession when I was growing up, for his help with my brother that is schizophrenic. I am very grateful.
(For those who aren't Catholic or just unsure, we aren't worshipping Saints. We are, like many others do, asking for another to pray for us and with us, for a special intention. Intercession.)

A little about St. Jude:
"Jude is invoked in desperate situations because his New Testament letter stresses that the faithful should persevere in the environment of harsh, difficult circumstances, just as their forefathers had done before them. Therefore, he is the patron saint of desperate cases and his feast day is October 28. Saint Jude is not the same person as Judas Iscariot who betrayed OurLord and despaired because of his great sin and lack of trust in God's mercy."


Long ago written, but a life lesson that will never expire.


Today is All Souls Day, a day to remember the faithful departed. I won't go much into that, but I would like to say a few people it makes me think of: my grandmothers (one for her hospitality & cooking, and one for her crazy mouth & entertainment!), our own 2 babies in heaven, Shirley (my sister's mother-in-law), and my Uncle Jim, also my godfather. 
You all are missed every single day! And I sure wish my boys could know you all. 

No comments: