Thursday, January 18, 2007

Woo-hoo! My Money Makeover has Begun!

It's a small step, a baby step, but we've "activated" Dave Ramsey's plan in our home. I am having fun with this! There is still a looonnnnggg way for us to go, but before we get there, we have to do step one. So I'm excited we've started step one.

I'm referring to
Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. He offers a very clear cut, easy to understand plan for your financial health. It's great.

The first step (baby step) is to set up an emergency fund of $1,000. He suggests that if your income is over $20,000, then you should bust your buns getting that $1,000 in about a month's time.
He backs up his ideas well as to why you should start here, rather than applying that money to your first listed debt.
(and later on, step 4? you proceed to save a more appropriate emergency fund, such as 3 months pay).

So over the last week I've searched our home. I really wish it was garage sale season, because that'd sure help! But since it's not, I turned to
craigslist.org and Amazon.com.
I've managed to sell our futon for $40 and one dvd so far for $5. So that's $45 in the pot.
(and hubby was probably right. We could've gotten more for the futon, maybe as much as $60. Live and learn! I'll take $40 over nothing, though!)

Aside from those items selling, I picked up a few extra hours of tutoring last week. Yes!
I can't wait for us to have the entire ER fund set aside.
Then we get to move on to the Debt Snowball. (the part I am most excited about!)
Progress feels good. I can feel the "financial peace" coming in. I'm lovin' it.

4 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

This is awesome and quite inspiring! I need to bust my buns about this, too!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

This is awesome and quite inspiring! I need to bust my buns about this, too!

Renee said...

borrowed from my library. easy read. just hard to sacrifice.

DEBTective said...

Dollface, I am BIG-TIME proud of you for starting on your Baby Steps and working to deep-six your debt. Your bills are gonna be running for their life before long. Thanks for spreading the word about Dave and debt freedom. Way to go on the dough, baby! www.debtective.com