Friday, February 23, 2007

What a Week!

I spent this week in the hospital.
Thank God Baby is fine.

Sunday it started again with the intense pain like I had in January. I tried to tough it out and use heating pads and Tylenol. It got to a point where I couldn't handle the pain, so we went to the hospital.

I knew I'd be admitted, but I expected to go home the next day again. NOPE.

They made sure the baby was fine and that I wasn't having contractions, and soon I had some relief with a shot of Demerol. It's assumed, again, that this is a kidney stone issue.
The difference was, this time when the Demerol wore off, the pain kept coming back. And no stone has passed. (even still!)

So Monday rolled around. Saw the Urologist, heard the same info. we did last time. The pain was sharper and worse than January. My frustration level was higher, too.

I wound up staying until late last night. Meaning we didn't get home until 11:00 p.m.

The doctors didn't want to discharge me until I had gone a full 24 hours without a shot of Demerol. That was my relief for "breakthrough"pain. Aside from that, I've been on oral pain killers, Perceset (not sure of the spelling). However, I was only given that every 6 hours, and that wasn't always enough to sustain the pain.

I tried. Believe me I tried. I wanted to be out of there, I don't like taking all this stuff while pregnant, and I've never been away from my son for so long. It's been such a hard week.

Being in the hospital this long (a first for me) made me realize I absolutely hate being vulnerable. I hate having to rely on someone else for e very little thing. Need to go to the bathroom? Call the nurse. Need something to drink? Call the nurse. Need anything? Call the nurse! I felt like a pest, an inconvenience, and a weakling.

I will say there is total truth when people say this pain is worse than labor pains. Having experienced both, I know first-hand. And God Bless the nurses...many of them told me a kidney stone is bad enough, but a stone while pregnant, well, that's just hell.

I'm on heavy duty painkillers. They make me feel loopy, dizzy, drunk, etc.
I do not feel ok with taking these while pregnant at all. And I am concerned, because what am I to do if I don't pass the stone soon? I won't go 9 more weeks on pain pills with a baby inside!
Please say a prayer something works out.

I need to go lay down. This is my scattered post of an update.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Bless your heart, Sharon, I'm so sorry. I've had one kidney stone before and my whole world was pain. I can't imagine getting one when pregnant. I hope this gets better for you soon.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Hope you & Baby are both fine from now on! With my prayers.

Greg said...

I'm happy to hear that you are finally out of the hospital.

I hope that the pain is starting to subside. I can't imagine how awful that must feel.

I'm thrilled to know that the baby is healthy!!

Continued Prayers.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Will be thinking of you! I have heard of this happening to others before. And remember- you must take care of Mama in order for baby to be taken care of, so this is going to be ok!

momwats8 said...

Sharon - I am so happy you are home and on the mend. I am still praying for you. I am hoping you will be pain free ASAP!

this is momwats8 from CMOMC - Mary